Thursday, September 20, 2007

Wilhelm Chap. 4

On a broad note, I want to make it clear that it is my belief that the incorporation of drama into the literature will help reach more struggling readers than if it were to entirely be excluded from the activites of the class. Whether this number of students is significant I am unsure; however, one thing is clear: Dramatizations cannot be counterproductive with regards to meaning making if time is managed effectively. Pulling in all readers, including reluctant ones, is a fundamental goal of literature instruction, and any task which allows more readers to connect with a text is worthwhile. More specifically, when students are asked to recreate and enact a scene from a text, it will inevitably provide them with a deeper understanding of that scene; this ultimately leads them to begin becoming 'active participants'--as Wilhelm calls it--of the text. Additionally, it is important that these reenactments be done in groups, because not only do you usually need more than a few characters per scene but especially for readers who still struggle to interact with the text.

When I initally thought of incorporation drama into the classroom, my thoughts were limited to reenacting scenes from a particular text. But when I saw the various types of activites Wilhelm used in his classroom (pp. 100-01), it is obvious that the concept of dramatization entails much more. During my high school experiences with literature I have done such tasks as role playing, guided imagery and newscasts, but I've never thought of the idea students filling in textual gaps, an activity which Wilhelm refers to as "missing scene scripts." I really like what opportunities this activity affords students. First, it enables students to use their to logical reasoning skills to assume what would happen in these missing scenes. Second, their interpretations require justifications based on what has already occured in the story. Third, they are given creative license to possibly explore alternate story possibilites. If nothing else, activites like these will get students to actively participate in thier meaning making process, as opposed to the traditionally passive question-answer forum.

1 comment:

Sara D said...

I completely agree with your opinions of chapter 4. I especially can relate to your opinions in the last paragraph where you discuss meaning making. I also think that using drama in the classroom is very influential and it will override the traditional classroom atmosphere where students simply answer questions. I think using drama is more engaging and interesting for students and doesn't make reading such a drag for young minds.