Monday, October 15, 2007

Webb, Chap. 6

On one hand, I can see how African-American students, their parents and community members may object to Huckleberry Finn's portrayal of Huck's A.A. friend, Jim, and the use of degrading language. But on the other hand, why should students not be allowed to read and discuss this book when the larger issue of racism is still very apparent in today's society. Webb states that "controversial issues are a part of the learning process" (p. 109), and I wholeheartedly agree. Is it not the truth that the portrayls of slavery and white / black relations present in the novel were very much a part of American history? Sure there may be some exaggerations or use of foul language, but won't students be subjected to these same issues outside of the classroom anyway? And I am aware that many believe that Twain depicted Jim from a white, stereotypical point of view, but what about A.A. authors who have done the same with their A.A. characters, i.e. Walker's construction of Celie in The Color Purple? Although Twain's beliefs about A.A. seem contradictory, doesn't it reflect a deeper sentiment present in America at that time? I guess what I am trying to get at is that even if Twain sent mixed messages about race and the nature of the A.A, he too can be subject to criticism while reading the novel.

Although I can see the novel being taught in high schools without using a New Critical perspective, I am still questioning two big issues raised in the chapter, and I'm not sure the author has resolved them for me. 1) How do you address using the racial ephitet that appears 213 times? and 2) how can you ensure that the A.A. students present do not feel uncomfortable or are looked to as an "expert" when talking about race relations?

No comments: